Friday, October 5, 2012

So what do you want to do? Read, listen or watch?

I can’t remember where I once saw this question “ Can listening to audiobooks be considered as reading?” Sorry as much as I want to quote the source, I really can’t remember which website I came across. Anyway, I did not read the responses or discussion so there’s not much use quoting it.
Lately, I have enjoyed listening to audiobooks rather than reading the book or novel itself. The reasons are I am among those people who:
- Falls asleep when reading for a long time
- Wants to do something at the same time (ex. Working while listening)
- has short attention span, that when I don’t understand or get bored for more than 5 minutes, you would lose me
- don’t want to carry a bulky book everywhere

This reason which I try to convince myself is the primary reason is: it makes me feel more connected to the story thus enjoying it more.

I don’t think there’s nothing wrong with listening than reading the book as much as there is nothing wrong if you rather want to read at your own pace. But obviously that question was posted or raised by someone who would rather read the book than listen to it. I cannot understand why it would be an issue if you would listen to the audiobook. When we were young, most if not all of us grew up with someone ( mother/father, nanny, granny, sister, sitter etc) reading a story or simply listening to a fascinating story being told to us.

However, I believe watching the film version of a novel is a different thing. Since movies are usually around 1.5-2.5 hrs long only, it just shows the most important parts missing all the details and oftentimes present a different ending. That is why most novel readers get disappointed when they watch the film version.
The only advantage of film versions is that you see in your eyes the scenes, characters or settings that you have only imagined while you were reading. But unfortunately, sometimes some of this details are also not included in the movie. I remembered a friend who once told me that the reason why she is excited to see this specific film is she wanted to see the dress being described as the one worn by the female character. And yes, she was disappointed, because in the film, it was not the cutesy dress she imagined. Probably because who would think that someone will watch the movie just to check out the character’s costumes.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t totally dislike film versions. I am also like many others who get excited to see the novel I once read/listened to being unraveled before my eyes. Although of course, I sometimes end up disappointed or feel that something is lacking from the movie.

There is one film version that I liked although many of the reviews are not so positive because they said the film lack the elegance and beauty of the novel itself. This film is “ Love in the time of cholera”. This novel I have read and because Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel are so beautiful that I get lost with the words. Maybe that’s the reason I liked it *smiles*. It helps me understand the “big words” and yes I read the translated (English) version. I read this entry from Wikipedia : “His works have achieved significant critical acclaim and widespread commercial success, most notably for popularizing a literary style labeled as magic realism, which uses magical elements and events in otherwise ordinary and realistic situations.” That I guess is the beauty that is lost in the film, you can barely feel it there. But the movie made me appreciate the novel even more as the characters and the expression of their love for each other unraveled before me.

I guess since each one of us has different tastes and let’s admit, different levels of intelligence which is why we have different preferences on how to enjoy a story, some want to read it on their own at their own pace, some want to listen, hearing the words as if just eavesdropping on a conversation and some wants just to see the important events and don’t mind missing the details.

But one thing I know is for sure, we are all interested with stories other than our own. Again for reasons that are entirely different for each person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 17

Feom 40 days to a Joy filled life by Tommy Newberry - We do all sorts of silly things that fuel our negative emotions. As a result, we end...