Sunday, October 14, 2012

Eating alone

I know some people who "would never be caught dead" eating alone. Even if they have to share a seat with someone they "met" at the cashier.

Sometimes you would think they are more pathetic than the people who has the confidence or guts to eat alone.

I cannot completely say that I enjoy eating alone, but sometimes I would rather eat alone than be pestered with gossip or questions about my personal life. To some I may not seem to be a private person but actually I am. I cannot and do not freely share to anyone personal details about my life.
I remember eating at a restaurant in Kapitolyo, Pasig (in the Philippines) where a group of what seems to be officemates are having their lunch. Initially I did not mind the loud laughters and giggling. Then the talk seemed serious but took a very uncomfortable turn ( well, at least for me). Two married women are talking very loudly of their sex life. I am not one of those who despite being married does not want to hear sex talk. More disturbing more for me is when I learned that one (or two) girl in the group is actually single and a virgin. Probably they were trying to "educate" her because one said, "kaya ikaw pag nag-asawa ka ( that's why when you get married..).
You might I am a hypocrite because I feel uncomfortable yet I listen to them. The restaurant is quite small and empty except for their group and me (and my son) and of course the restaurant staff. In fact, I had to stop my son who is enjoying his meal so we could go out from there. The staff was actually surprised when I asked if I could have all our food for "take-out" (take away).

Sometimes, they are really people like them who are inconsiderate of others. But would run amok if you offended them. Such are the ironies of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 17

Feom 40 days to a Joy filled life by Tommy Newberry - We do all sorts of silly things that fuel our negative emotions. As a result, we end...