Saturday, October 13, 2012

Coffee anyone?

Here in Bangkok, there are coffeeshops and coffee stands everywhere. From Starbucks to the humble coffee stand in the corner, they are often crowded with customers.
I am not a big coffee fan, I just drink coffee if I badly need an energy boost ( but chocolate is always my first option) or I need to stay awake. But here I began frequenting the coffee shops, and ironically not because of their coffee. Here are the reasons why:
- most of the crew can speak good English or at least knows the english name of their products.
- most of them have free wifi, Coffee World in Patpong has the wifi password posted in each of the tables. Doi Tung also has free wifi but you have to request password from the cashier and lasts for an hour.
- give you some kind of "peace" away from the bustle of the city

However, I feel uneasy when I become regular costumers. Why?
- in Coffeeworld, the manager has become comfortable in seeing me everyday that she doesn't give me the obligatory warm greeting or kop kun kaa when I leave. Oftentimes, she is smirking at me.
- in Doi Tung, when the crew sees me at the cashier, they have the weird smile and oftentimes exchange looks as if to say " here is the foreigner again who looks like a local"
- in Swiss cafe, I don't like the constant small talks of the manager/ supervisor. Sometimes I am tempted to say, I came here for the food not the talk. I also wonder if she just uses me to practice her English.

Of course, I am different from other people, there are those who love the attention when they come to a place, or the small talks offered to them. But what can I say, I am not like most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 17

Feom 40 days to a Joy filled life by Tommy Newberry - We do all sorts of silly things that fuel our negative emotions. As a result, we end...