Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Gone Girl - a review

I don’t like when critics or book reviewer’s give spoliers on the plot or sometimes the climax or even the conclusion of the book. I feel like, “yeah I know that the correct way of doing a movie/book review” but those things are appreciated by your teacher/professor when grading your paper. Not for enthusiasts who just wanted to check how others liked the movie/book before actually spending a dime for it. So I will try to review a book without giving out the entire plot, climax and conclusion of the book.


When I registered for an audible account, I saw this book – Gone Girl in New York Times bestseller. In terms of books, I am a “fashionista” in a sense that I want to see what’s hot and try it. This is one of the few things that I am not ashamed to go with the what’s “in”. So okay, its not a book, an audiobook that I bought, initially I got bored (yes, bored listening) because the structure of the book is that the two main (Amy and Nick) characters alternate presenting their own versions of what happened. But when I got to Part 2 (of the audiobook) it got interesting. I loved the suspense rising up minute after minute. I began to anticipate what Amy has to say on the version of what happened. The story became very real to me, because as they say there are always two sides of a coin. I loved how Nick got caught up on his wife’s (Amy) web of lies and there seems to be no hope of him being vindicated or the truth coming out. I began to hate the lawyer who wasn’t of no help at all, of the policemen/detectives who thinks its good police work to find obvious evidence. And most of all, I hated Amy, I felt the hurt and frustration that Nick felt when Amy seemed to be winning most of the time.

However, I didn’t like the ending of the book it was very anticlimactic, it was a letdown for me. Its like lining up for free ice cream and when its your turn the only flavor left is vanilla. I feel that the book is begging to have a sequel. I don’t know if the author has that plan all along or Book 2 is already in the works.

I would love to see this made into a movie. However, as I am not a big Hollywood fan I am struggling to think of the perfect actors to play Amy and Nick. Well, these are the qualities I think the actors should have:

Amy – someone beautiful but still has the homely charisma.
Nick – someone proud/strong looking with a slight “player” aura


I know it didn’t said much but I highly recommend the book, it is literally something that you would find difficult to put down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 17

Feom 40 days to a Joy filled life by Tommy Newberry - We do all sorts of silly things that fuel our negative emotions. As a result, we end...