Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Insurance

I am currently covered by BUPA insurance here in Thailand and I am not satisfied.

Last May 2012, I had to go to the emergency room because I was experiencing unbearable chest pains, after several tests, they found no reason to admit me so I was sent home with some medications. My bill was 30k plus baht. I was not wortied because I had my card which says Hos. Service 60,000 Doctor's visit 1,500 per day OPD 1,500 visit per day. I was terribly shocked when the clerk told me that my card will only cover 1,500. I paid via credit card the remaining balance and went home feeling worse.

I checked with the insurance company the following Monday to confirm why i cannot claim under the Hospital Service or the ER coverage and what they said was that my case fall under OPD which means they only pay 1,500.

In the Philippines, my HMO is Maxicare, back then I never had to worry that I need to pay for any excess. I know that the reason is probably because my BUPA insurance here is of lower membership type. But still I feel that the card was next to nothing, because of a second incident.

Probably 2 weeks after that, I went to see an endocrinologist to have my tsh, t3 and t4 levels checked. So he ordered blood tests. After everything was over, at the cashier, I was told that my lab fees will not be covered and only doctor's fee will be paid by BUPA. I was like .. "omg! Are you serious?" But then I had no choice but to pay for the lab fees.

Around last month or so, I received a letter from BUPA that they are investigating the payment they made during that doctor's visit since it might be a pre-existing condition. So they gave me some forms to fill up to authorize them to request for my medical records from the hospital.

Today, I received an invoice from BUPA ordering me to pay back the 1,500 baht they paid for the doctor's visit.

I don't know about you, but I think BUPA sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 17

Feom 40 days to a Joy filled life by Tommy Newberry - We do all sorts of silly things that fuel our negative emotions. As a result, we end...