Thursday, July 19, 2012

Being a foreigner

I have been in a foreign country for more than 6 months now. At first, I was excited as I have always thought that this country is far better than my home country. Then I realized that the cliche is true. There's no place like home.
I have been warned before by a manager from my previous company that it's a little difficult to live here. "it's easy to get lost there" I just smiled but he continued, their street signs or store signs are in their local language script and they could barely understand and speak English. Honestly, I did not believe him. I said to myself, it couldn't be that bad, I have been to Kenya and they speak good English. And kenya is a poor african country, this one is one of the most developed countries in the region.And besides he gave a disclaimer that maybe it had improved recently, it has been a few years ago when he was here.
And when I arrived here, I almost want to give him a call and tell him that I should have listened to him.

It was like a nightmare communicating in English here, it wouldn't help if you present a nicely computer printed document unless its in their local script. You might say, probably not in the hotels, international hospitals, high end shopping centers or multi national companies. Well maybe not that bad. But still bad. You have to talk in broken English to have your message get through easily. Or you would waste a lot of time if you talk in your perfect English grammar or accent. I was once smirked at a copy center when I keep saying.. "scan" pointing at my document that needs to be scanned. And the lady told me in her irritated voice "is-skan".
It also doesn't help that I look a little like the locals. They tend to be more friendly to caucasians. I could no longer keep count of the times when I tell a saleslady, fast food attendant or bank teller "sorry, I don't understand " and they would either frown or roll their eyes as if I am pretending to be a foreigner.

Many times we also get stared in public when my kids ( 3 and 5 yrs old) speak in english. Some smile while others roll their eyes as if we are some kind of trying hard social climber.

Oftentimes we want to complain with the wrong order given, being cut in line, being pushed in the train or for bad service. But we end up just shrugging it off since it wouldn't be worth the time (1) they wouldn't understand (2) they would just smile at you even if you are already fuming red with anger.

It all comes down to tolerance and patience. And always bearing in mind that this is not your country. And like a guest in somebody's house, instead of complaining you just be thankful that they accepted you in their home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 17

Feom 40 days to a Joy filled life by Tommy Newberry - We do all sorts of silly things that fuel our negative emotions. As a result, we end...